Edge of Extinction: The Rules

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Edge of Extinction: The Rules

Post by Admin on Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:20 am

As of this writing, Edge of Extinction will have no house rules (subject to change).

Due to conflicting paragraphs about the Inquisition. Members of the Inquisition can hold a pack position (Ductus, Priest) as long as there is no other suitable candidate.

http://extinction.forumotion.co.nz/t81-downtime-action-disciplines

Edit: Note that there is an official FAQ:

http://www.bynightstudios.com/?page_id=345

and ERRATA:

http://www.bynightstudios.com/?page_id=356

Characters will be built using the BY NIGHT STUDIOS Vampire: the Masquerade Mind's Eye Theatre rules.
It is likely most people will not already have access to this, as the game was only released in 2014.
There are significant differences between this system and the previous Mind's Eye Theatre rules, but it is really easy to learn or to just dive in and use without really knowing anything about the system.

If you do, all characters are going to be built on 60 starting XP, using the Sabbat character creation rules (there will be a small bonus of 5 XP for those players who participated in the playtest).

THAT SAID, characters will be approved on a basis of a COMPLETED SURVEY and BACKGROUND, not a mechanical build. You can suggest a mechanical build, but it may be altered to better reflect the submitted backstory (a process we will try to work collaboratively with the players on; we are committed to trying to make the game excellent for all participants). We suggest you try to make a person, not just a collection of stats (most things are useful! Seriously!); this ST in particular will be looking for notes on character personality and interests.

If anyone wishes to submit a mortal character  to be turned into a Vampire during the game, the Walpurgisnacht celebrations - an annual Sabbat High Holiday where embracing and inducting new mortals is part of the festivities - will be taking place during the first game, so all you'll need to decide on is "what is my mortal identity like?". We recommend this for anyone who feels like playing a character who has experience with being part of the Sabbat would be difficult.

Last edited by Admin on Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:57 am; edited 3 times in total

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://extinction.forumotion.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Re: Edge of Extinction: The Rules

Post by Admin on Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:01 am

A quick overview of the resolution mechanics in the latest edition of Mind's Eye Theatre:

All checks are resolved by rock, paper, scissors (no bomb or other strange throws), but also have associated numbers. For things like lore checks, the ST assigns a number as the "pool" and the player adds their Lore skill (usually rated 0-5) and their Mental Attribute (rated 1-10 for mortals, vampires can go higher) to determine their "pool" (plus any modifiers).

The participant with the higher pool wins ties.

If you lose, but your pool is more than twice theirs, you get a free retest.

If you lose, you can spend a willpower to retest, unless willpower has already been spent on a retest.

Exceptional Success:: If you win (not win a tie, but throw rock to their scissors, etc.) every test in a challenge (so if there's a retest, you need to win all of the retests) it is an Exceptional Success.

Combat:

Combat is an opposed check. Normally the defender uses Dodge + Physical as their defence pool, and the attacker uses Brawl (when unarmed), Weaponry (when armed with a melee weapon), Athletics (when armed with a thrown weapon) or Firearms (when armed with a gun).

On a hit with a Firearms weapon (guns, bows, crossbows, grenades...), the defender takes 2 damage. Otherwise a hit deals 1 damage. Exceptional Successes do 1 additional damage. Some Disciplines can increase the damage you deal.

It is possible to use Maneuvers (such as grappling or staking) when you hit someone; normally this costs 1 Willpower point to do, but some things make them free.

Named Characters have 9 health levels by default. Stock Characters (e.g. Retainers) are defeated when they take damage equal to their rating.

Rounds and Turns:

These are normally the same thing, but characters with Celerity (or Temporis) can act in Celerity Rounds (which come AFTER the normal round).

Mass Combat:

A character can only be attacked physically (e.g. guns, swords, or Flame Bolt) by two enemies per round, mentally (e.g. Dominate) once per turn, and socially (e.g. Dread Gaze) once per turn.

If you wish to gang up on a single target beyond that, you will need to use the Aid Attacker and/or Aid Defender actions. (Aid Attacker allows them to use a Maneuver for free, Aid Defender means that you get attacked in their stead; how very noble of you).

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Parsious on Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:52 pm

so as i was reading through the Discipline descriptions while working on a character concept i failed to see any reference to the targets Generation being a factor for Dominate ... so the question is: is this no longer a thing as it was in the WOD of old or is is tinano0ther part of the book that i haven't yet found, I have looked at generation and the Dominate descriptions as sell as a brief look through the rest of the book. and if its not actually said in the book what about the house rules for the game

Parsious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:49 pm

I can't seem to find such a rule either, no. As far as I can tell, that means it is simply not a rule. House Rules may be implemented after the initial playtest run and consultation with the full ST team, so venturing any commentary on that now would be premature.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:14 am

Dominate: We are still in the playtest phase, but if a major house rule like that were implemented, "not screwing over players" would be a high priority.

Possible House Rule for discussion: players may be given the option of playing an Elder (with bonus XP; perhaps 60) at the following price:

1) The bonus XP will be deducted from XP earned (probably halving future XP gain) until paid off.

2) All Elders *must* take the Archaic [no modern skills] flaw (if genuinely ancient) and/or the Methuselah's Thirst [always start game at half blood] flaw (if a diablerist).

3) In addition, Elder characters still in XP debt are docked 1 downtime action.

All characters start with 60 xp - Antonia

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Porl on Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:34 am

Looks pretty good so far. The Dominate discipline is interesting, while I am used to the old method and it makes sense from a story line perspective it also really limited its use. I would side with it can be used on anyone of any generation. The option to add 60 xp is also interesting, I generally agree with points one and two (though it will depend on how the xp generation works out in play) but assuming (I know making assumptions) 3 xp per game makes xp debt for 5 years. 4 xp a game (assuming the occasional scene and/ or player compliment) makes for 2.5 years, or 30 games down an action.

Porl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:51 pm

By my reading of the rules-as-written, a player can reasonably earn double that XP, because Scenes count for full game XP. (there is a per-month cap rule suggested; to be precise, the entire XP chapter is marked optional...).

They're also going to be ahead on XP for that entire 30 game period, and I'd be fine with someone "paying off" their XP debt early if the action was really hurting.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Parsious on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:09 pm

Downtime actions ...

looking at the list of things that you need downtime actions for i cant find any mention of needing to use an action for buying backgrounds with XP ...

so far the list of DT actions I have found is

• Hunt
  • Patrol
  • investigation
  • crafting something
  • Selling said crafted something (as per craft skill)
  • Medical examination (as per medicine skill)
  • promote fame (as per fame skill -- 2 DT actions)
  • secure another persons haven for a year ( as per Security skill)
  • living beyond your means (item for service barter essentially)
  • learning a new Discipline
  • getting a merit

Parsious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:00 am

I believe buying Backgrounds with XP does not normally require an action, yes.

Probably the most important thing not on that list would be "scenes". Interacting with NPCs outside the game can to a degree be assumed, but significant contact should require an action. (and the list was intentionally - in the book - not exhaustive.)

Also note that Influence Actions are similar (in that they need to be submitted during downtime) and cover a number of other things a character might want to do between games.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Antonia Brown on Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:48 pm

Due to conflicting paragraphs about the Inquisition. Members of the Inquisition can hold a pack position (Ductus, Priest) as long as there is no other suitable candidate.

Antonia Brown
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top